Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thing 7

I liked Google Docs. It is defiantly something I can use. I liked the templates that google docs offered and it was easy to navigate through. I liked the fact that you can monitor the students when on the computer. I think I still need to play around on google docs to get a better understanding of it. I can use this tool to collaborate ideas with friends and co-workers. I can use some of the templates to help keep track of my personal finances, resumes, and receipts. Students can use google docs to do any kind of work for school and personal use. They can share their ideas with each other, complete an assignment, do presentations, and come up with spread sheets. This tool can be easier for group work on projects. The students can all participate from home and not have to worry about meeting up at a certain time(with all the busy schedules). The issues I see when using google docs with students are the understanding of using it and does everyone have access to it. I know it is a free tool, but do they have a computer with Internet or do they have to go somewhere to use it. The teacher needs to take time to understand the tool to be able to explain the uses. I know there is a monitoring feature with google docs, but my concern is the students misuse of the tool and going to other places on the Internet. I know they will search other sites, but I would not want it to interfere with class time. In all I like this tool and it will be useful in the future learning of our students.

1 comment:

  1. You've pointed out some of the great advantages and disadvantages of using Docs. Students definitely benefit from having a place to store information and documents, and Google Docs can be used to work on group assignments or to collaborate with other individuals. However, as you mentioned, using Docs does require an email address and an Internet connection, which can be problematic for some of our students. There are ways to monitor student use, but, of course, nothing is foolproof!

    Good response; Thing 7 complete!

    ReplyDelete